CDFT ADJUST_SIZE

Nico Holmberg holmbe... at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 05:15:15 UTC 2018

Hi,

This keyword is explained in detail in the tutorial you linked, see in
particular Figure 2. In brief, the ADJUST_SIZE keyword determines whether
the size of atoms, as defined by atom type specific radii (keyword
ATOMIC_RADII), should be accounted for in the construction of the CDFT
constraints. The default FALSE value indicates that all atoms are treated
equally (i.e. they have the same atomic radius). This can lead to strange
partial charges as discussed in the tutorial. If you set the keyword to
TRUE, you can choose different atoms to have different sizes which leads to
physically reasonable partial charges. You should run the water dimer part
<https://www.cp2k.org/howto:cdft#selected_examples> of the tutorial to get
a better understanding on how this scheme affects the calculated partial
charges.

BR,

Nico