wB97X-V in CP2K

Yuezhi Mao myz... at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 02:16:50 UTC 2018

Dear CP2K developers,

I was trying to figure out how to run wB97X-V calculations with CP2K, as
AIMD with this functional using CP2K was reported earlier this year. By
testing the binding energy for the water dimer in S22 set (the results are
summarized in the attached .log file), I found the follows:
(i) The setup of this functional in tests/QS/regtest-hybrid-4/wB97X-V.inp
seems incorrect. The line "FRACTION 0.167" should be deleted. As a mixed
Coulomb operator is used and the 1/r and erf(wr)/r operators have been
scaled separately, there is definitely no need to apply an additional
scaling factor to scale down the exact exchange. From the output generated
with the same setup as this regtest
("water_dimer_gapw_wB97X-V_regtest_def2-qzvp.out"), we can find that HF
exchange energy (as well as the total energy) is particularly small.

(ii) Without the global scaling factor, the total energy given by CP2K
(using the built-in parameterization) looks too low for this system (the
corresponding output is "water_dimer_gapw_wB97X-V_regtest_def2-qzvp.out")
compared to the q-chem reference. It was reported before that wB97X-V, as a
parameterization of BECKE97, was not implemented correctly because it was
not attenuated as an SR functional (see a previous discussion on this
issue: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/cp2k/JEvnnfAEgPY/CFwlbsroSOcJ).
We suspected that this problem has not been fixed since then.

(iii) Replacing the built-in implementation of the XC functional with the
counterpart in libxc, the results produced by CP2K (especially the
GAPW/def2-QZVP calculation) are in great agreement with the Q-Chem numbers.
Therefore, I believe that the setup in
"water_dimer_gapw_wB97X-V_def2-qzvp.inp" is the correct way of running this
functional.

I suggest that the regtest job should be modified, as it is often the first
thing a user would refer to when one wants to try out some new features.
The current one turns out to be misleading. Also, I think the built-in
implementation of this functional should be either fixed or disabled, as it
produces incorrect results.

Best regards,

Yuezhi Mao
Postdoctoral scholar