DFTMD for 32H2O cannot conserved

Nico Holmberg holmbe... at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 09:08:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

In NVE simulations, total energy is the conserved quantity not the Fermi
energy (=the energy of the HOMO). You check if the total energy is
conserved by looking at the *ener file from your MD simulation. To perform
constant Fermi-energy simulations, you would need to run grand canonical
DFT (µVT ensemble) with a variable number of electrons. This not possible
with the standard DFT module in CP2K, but afaik the linear scaling DFT is
capable of running such calculations but I have no experience with the
module. You can find grand canonical DFT support in some other codes, e.g.
Quantum Espresso (see e.g. this paper
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jctc.6b01232>).

BR,

Nico