[CP2K-user] DFTB simulations of liquid water

Guillaume Stirnemann gsti... at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:33:39 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate a box of liquid water using DFTB with periodic
boundary conditions. My initial configuration is taken from a previous
classical MD run performed in the NVT ensemble at the experimental density.
I have tried different set-ups, including SCC-DFTB ("DFTB2") and
DFTB3-diag, both with or without Grimme's D3 corrections, all ran in the
NVT ensemble for 50 ps.
In all cases, the simulations run well, but I end-up with a large hole in
the simulation box. When comparing my radial distribution functions that of
Cui who used DFBT+ (JPCB 115, 6790 (2011)), the first peak of the O-H rdf
is usually a bit more pronounced but the contraction of the whole system is
more visible on the second hydration shell. The differences are less
visible for the O-O rdfs. The hole occupies about 1/2 of the simulation
box, so the final density of my liquid phase is about 2!

I attach the initial configuration, and the cp2k input file for DFTB2 with
no D3. I tried on two different machines, one with 6.1 and the other one
with 5.1.

I am not an expert of CP2K so there might be some issues with my input, and
your help would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes

Guillaume
CNRS Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris, France