[CP2K-user] &BS section in CP2K

Chang Liu ken... at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 10:57:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am a bit confused by the convention in the &BS section in CP2K. As in the
example of magnetic system (slide 35)
in https://www.cp2k.org/_media/events:2015_cecam_tutorial:ling_hybrids.pdf
, in order to go from Fe to Fe3+ (high spin with alpha spin more
electrons), the following is used for the input:

&KIND Fe1
ELEMENT Fe
BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH
POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q16
&DFT_PLUS_U
L 2
U_MINUS_J [eV] 5.0
&END DFT_PLUS_U
*&BS *
*&ALPHA *
*NEL +4 -2 *
*L 2 0 *
*N 3 4 *
*&END ALPHA *
*&BETA *
*NEL -6 -2 *
*L 2 0 *
*N 3 4 *
*&END BETA *
*&END BS *
&END KIND

In the neutral atom Fe, shouldn't there only be only 2 4s electrons, one
alpha and one beta, and 6 3d electrons, 3 alpha and 3 beta? It seems the
lines NEL just have numbers double as large as what they should be, e.g.
NEL +4 -2 should be NEL +2 -1. If the numbers for NEL is added for both
spin channels, one gets -6 instead of -3 (since Fe loses 3 electrons to
become Fe3+). Could you please tell me where I get it wrong? Thanks.

BR.
Chang Liu