[CP2K:9497] how to reduce the memory usage for HFX

S Ling lingsa... at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:06:25 UTC 2017

Hi

This maybe the largest hybrid DFT calculation for a 3D periodic system that
I have ever heard of.

You may also check whether you really need a CUTOFF_RADIUS of 10 A in your
PBE0-TC-LRC functional. The density matrix of insulators decays
exponentially with SQRT(E_gap)*r12 (see Eqn. 16 of this paper,
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.2931945). For system with a sizeable
band gap, you can usually get converged electronic properties with a cutoff
radius of 6 A or even smaller. I would suggest you to check the convergence
of your target properties with respect to CUTOFF_RADIUS in smaller cells,
and then choose the CUTOFF_RADIUS that gives the best balance of accuracy
and cost for your calculation on the large supercell. A smaller cutoff
radius may help you to reduce the memory usage of the HFX calculation.

In addition, if you use OT algorithm for SCF, you can usually reduce
the MAX_SCF
parameter in &SCF subsection to 20 or 30, in order to take advanrage of
the preconditioning. This will not reduce the memory usage, but it may help
to accelerate the SCF convergence.

SL