DFT+U Calculation

sudhir kumar Sahoo sudhir... at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 13:03:00 UTC 2017

Dear cp2k users,

I am using DFT+U method for modelling CuInSe2 (U=5.0 eV for 3d electrons of
Cu), particularly, using Mulliken method as implemented in cp2k program.
However, a warning is repeatedly written in the output file.

 *** WARNING in dft_plus_u.F:1455 :: DFT+U energy contibution is negative
***
 *** possibly due to unphysical Mulliken charges. Check your input, if
***
 *** this warning persists or try a different method!
***

After reading the cp2k google group discussion, I have tried to perform
DFT+U calculations as explained below,
but each time I got the same warning in the output file.

1) Restarting the calculation U=5 eV, from an optimized wavefunction
obtained from U=0 eV.
2) Point 1 + u_ramping option
3) Point 2 + &enforce_occupation

Can someone please help me in this.