total energy decrease, but KE and PE are conserved during MD simulation

Bikramjit Sharma bikram... at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 05:13:55 UTC 2017

Dear Thomas Kühne,

      Thank you very much for your reply.

I have run CP2K for other bulk systems, where the total energy also
fluctuates around an average value during equilibration in the NVT
ensemble.  In case of clusters only, the equilibration in NVT ensemble
shows the negative drift in total energy. That is why I am little unhappy
with the gradual decrease in total energy of the system. Nevertheless, I
have tried with time step of 0.25 fs and the thermostat is now applied in
"GLOBAL" region (earlier it was MASSIVE). Till now it seems to have well
behaved total energy fluctuation, although only longer run will tell the
actual story.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Bikramjit Sharma