total energy decrease, but KE and PE are conserved during MD simulation

Bikramjit Sharma bikram... at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 18:48:31 UTC 2017

Dear CP2K users,

I am running MD simulations of some isolated ion-water clusters using CP2K.
I have first optimized the cluster in g09 and ensured it to be at least a
local minima. However, during equilibration, the total energy continuously
decreases while KE and PE shows well behaved fluctuations after a few
initial steps. I have run the equilibration for 10 ps and I think that
should suffice to converge the properties of the system. Even though the
total energy keeps on decreasing. I am attaching my input file and the
energy plots here. Any suggestion will be highly acknowledged.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely
Bikramjit Sharma