core ionization energy

Luca luca.d... at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 10:11:09 UTC 2017

Dear Developers

I am trying to calculate the O 1s core ionization energy of H2O. My idea is
to evaluate the difference between

the energy of H2O in its ground state and the energy of an H2O+ with a hole
in the O1s state.

My problem is that when running a Delta–SCF, cp2k always excite the alpha
electron.

Thus, before doing the Delta-SCF, one should get the right initial
configuration for H2O+ by making a spin flip of the electron in the HOMO of
the H2O+.

I tried with the MOM method by adding the keyword:

     &MOM

         DEOCC_ALPHA 5

         OCC_BETA 5

      &END MOM

But cp2k complains writing:

      ‘Incorrect multiplicity of the MOM reference electronic state ‘

… although I put in my input both LSD and MULTIPLICITY 2.

Then I gave a chance to the WFN_MIX by adding the lines:

     &WFN_MIX

       &UPDATE

           RESULT_MO_INDEX 1

           RESULT_SPIN_INDEX ALPHA

           RESULT_SCALE 0.0

           ORIG_MO_INDEX 1

           ORIG_SPIN_INDEX BETA

           ORIG_SCALE 1.00

           ORIG_IS_VIRTUAL .TRUE.

       &END

      &END

However, in this case, I get a segmentation fault.

Could you please point out me where I am doing wrong?

All the best.

Luca S.