Segmentation fault bug in hybrid functional HFX calculations

Tobias Binninger t... at zurich.ibm.com
Tue Nov 21 11:42:33 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have a problem using the HFX in cp2k. During runtime, I get a
segmentation fault during the bits2ints decompression. The problem is
persistent on different platforms and using different compilers: On a
POWER8 cluster (both compiled with GCC and with XL), and also on a MacBook
Pro compiled with GCC. I am compiling cp2k using the libint-1.1.4 for the
ERI. Also, the error is persistent both with the sopt and popt version, so
both with and without MPI. Therefore, I believe, the bug must be buried in
the cp2k HFX routines. The segmentation fault apparently happens during a
decompression step in the bits2ints_Nbits subroutines. Depending on the
detailed input settings, it occurs in different Nbits values, so
bits2ints_1, bits2ints_3, bits2ints_11, etc.

I can circumvent the problem only if I switch off the
compression/decompression completely by setting &FORCE_EVAL &DFT &XC &HF
&MEMORY MAX_MEMORY 0. Also, the segmentation fault does not show up when I
put SCREEN_ON_INITIAL_P F. In this case, however, the SCF loop doesn’t
converge properly.

Below is an exemplary input showing the segmentation fault after the first
SCF step. The required wave function TEST_HFX_BUG-RESTART.wfn is attached.

Best regards,
Tobias

 &GLOBAL
   PRINT_LEVEL  LOW
   PROJECT_NAME TEST_HFX_BUG
   RUN_TYPE  ENERGY_FORCE
 &END GLOBAL

 &FORCE_EVAL
   METHOD  QS
   STRESS_TENSOR  ANALYTICAL
   &DFT
     BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME BASIS_MOLOPT
     BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME BASIS_ADMM
     BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME BASIS_ADMM_MOLOPT
     POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME GTH_POTENTIALS
     WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME TEST_HFX_BUG-RESTART.wfn
     UKS  T
     MULTIPLICITY  1

     &SCF
       MAX_SCF  30