[CP2K:9656] Re: OpenBLAS not working with cp2k?

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy... at sassy.formativ.net
Thu Nov 9 23:09:05 UTC 2017

Hi Alfio and Ari,

interesting. I am wondering whether the problem is that I am not using the
threaded or OMP version and you are using it.
The problem I encountered in the past with OMP is that each process started to
spin up X OpenBLAS processes which lead to a complete overload of the machine.
In other words: if you had say 8 cores and 8 instances of the program running,
echo of the instance started 8 OpenBLAS processes. The result was an overload
of the machine.

Thus, I was building OpenBLAS as a non-threaded/non-OMP version to simply
avoid this problem.

One of the reasons I am building the ssmp version of cp2k was to play around a
bit whether OpenMP is for my single node 'faster' than MPI.

I guess I will build OpenBLAS with both threads and OpenMP enabled and see
what will happen.

Thanks for your help so far.

All the best from London

Jörg