incorrect number of frequencies in vibrational analysis

Natalie Schieber natalie.... at colorado.edu
Mon May 8 18:45:02 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I am trying to obtain the vibrational frequencies of a periodic system of
four benzene molecules. When I run the vibrational analysis with no
restriction, I obtain the correct number of frequencies (141), but some of
them are negative. However, when I restrict the range of the search, I
obtain positive wavenumbers, but more frequencies than should be physically
present (152). When I try to run the vibrational analysis with tighter
convergence but no range, I get an error.  The relevant part of the input
is below. Any help on obtaining 141 positive numbers is appreciated!

&VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS
&MODE_SELECTIVE
EPS_MAX_VAL 0.0000000005
EPS_NORM 0.00000002
&END MODE_SELECTIVE
&END VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS

Returns an error:  no frequency, range or involved atoms specified

&VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS
&END VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS

returns 141 wavenumbers with negatives

&VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS