Setting correct cutoff/convergence criteria

Matt W mattwa... at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:48:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

there are quite a few things that could be improved in your input, but the
most significant problem is probably

   EXTRAPOLATION USE_GUESS

This means that after every step it starts again from an atomic guess,
which is very inefficient. By default CP2K extrapolates from the density
matrix of the previous steps.

Also, 900 Ry is a very expensive cutoff (might be needed for some elements
with GPW). Change to METHOD GAPW in &QS and reduce the cutoff to ~300 Ry.

Mixing and broyden optimizer will be moderately inefficient for insulators,
but the above are probably the biggest things.

Hope that helps,

Matt