[CP2K:8540] Re: drift of center of mass

Ari Paavo Seitsonen ari.p.s... at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:18:24 UTC 2017

Dear Wei,

  Sorry, I did not understand: Did you know correct the coordinates from
VASP so that they are not folded back, and still the centre of mass
oscillates? Very strange if indeed so... According to my experience there
is _always_ a drift in the DFT-based MD simulation (unless one removes the
force on the centre of mass at each step), by increasing the accuracy it
can made smaller (also in VASP), but basically it never vanishes.

    Greetings,

       apsi

> Dear Ari,
>
> Yes, by default VASP folds the coordinates back to the cell and they are
> fractional between 0 and 1.  In the plot I showed earlier, I simply
> multiplied the fractional coordinates by lattice parameters.  With VASP,
> center of mass was oscillating but not drifting.  In cp2k, it was drifting
> because forces were not calculated accurately enough due to the low cutoff
> energy.
>
> Wei
>
> On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 10:05:16 AM UTC-5, Ari Paavo Seitsonen
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Wei,
>>
>>   Just to confirm, a stupid question: When processing the results from
>> VASP did you take into account that by default the code folds the
>> coordinates back into the cell from origin to the lattice vectors, or, the
>> relative coordinates between 0 and 1? That the centre of mass would bounce
>> back and forth is not really a common kind of "drift".
>>
>>     Greeting from Paris,
>>
>>        apsi

>>> Matt,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestions.  Examining the force noise suggests that
>>> higher cutoff values are needed.  Increasing the cutoff values does
>>> stabilize the center of mass, although the statistics of fluctuation are
>>> different from those from VASP.  But I guess this is probably due to
>>> different types of basis sets.
>>>
>>> Wei

>> --

  Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.S... at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
    Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
    Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935