Isolated system Geometry Optimizations

Babgen Manookian manoo... at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:21:43 UTC 2017

Hey Everyone,

I am a new cp2k user and have been working on a test system in order to get
a feel for how the program works. My test system is a cyclohexane molecule
and I am interested in determining the energy difference between boat and
chair conformations. I am using a wavelet poisson solver with periodicity
turned off and the molecule centered in the cell. I attached the template
input file which I used to create the different inputs with varying cells
size.

What I have noticed is that as I increase my cell size the energy does not
converge on a single value, instead it seems to oscillate. The graphs below
show the energies of each conformation and their differences as functions
of cell size. I am very curious as to what is causing these oscillations.
If I have a single cyclohexane molecule centered in my cell, as I increase
my cell size, I would think that the extra vacuum space around the molecule
will not affect the energy.

If there is anyone out there who could provide any sort of input on this it
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XcaU03VKFW0/WKNIuiBUTMI/AAAAAAAAATM/fJ2NHXSj-iswt7iCpMupCDoEpmOO9tarwCLcB/s1600/cychex_graphs.jpg>