[CP2K:8663] bond energy and BSSE in cp2k

S Ling lingsa... at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:11:54 UTC 2017

Hi

It's not 100% true that you don't have to care about BSSE in plane-wave
codes. If you perform a cell optimisation using plane-wave codes, the
number of plane waves may change as your cell volume increases or
decreases. I know there are plane wave codes (e.g. CASTEP) which provide
option to do finite basis set corrections.

For CP2K which uses localised basis sets, BSSE due to basis set
incompleteness is always there, but depending on which basis sets you're
using, what systems you're looking at (bulk or surface or isolated
molecules), and which properties you are interested in, BSSE may be strong
or can be neglected. BSSEs are usually non-negligible in binding energy
calculations, especially if you use moderate basis sets
like DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH.

SL