questions about TDDFPT2

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:22:45 UTC 2017

Hi Hanning,

I've not had a chance to look at your particular calculation. Such a small
basis set, and small box could lead to strange results in any case. More
generally, there is no reason, even if the transition is a pure single
determinant HOMO to LUMO, for the energy to be that of the HOMO_LUMO gap.
There are still additional terms in the TDDFT kernel that will shift the
transition energy.
For GGAs the shifts can be in either direction, there is no general rule.
We have checked small molecule transition energies vs gamess-us and were
pretty happy with the comparison.

HTH,

Matt