Thermodynamics with CP2K

Vladimir Rybkin rybk... at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:54:50 UTC 2017

Dear Anton,

the procedures to get thermodynamics are independent of how you calculate
the interaction potential (FIST, Quickstep, ALMO, DFTB etc.). To calculate
thermodynamic values one needs to sample: there's a plenty of tools for
that, including thermodynamic integration. On these you can read any
classic on molecular simulations.
In the simplest case, one may just compare energies of optimized structures
or scan the PES along relevant degrees of freedom as many do in molecular
calculations. Care, however, must be taken when total energies are compared
since the Hartree level in periodic calculations can be "randomly" shifted
from calculation to calculation. Please, check out some examples in the
"Science" section of the cp2k webpage:

https://www.cp2k.org/science

Yours,

Vladimir