Some problems about the grid point of pot.cube file in the EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL subsection

Nico Holmberg holmbe... at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 10:31:13 UTC 2017

Hi,

You need to supply a cube file that contains as many grid points as the
grid that holds the real space electron density in your simulation system
(depends on the PW_CUTOFF and cell size). You can check the size of this
grid by turning on the print key FORCE_EVAL/PRINT/GRID_INFORMATION (see
example below). When you print out a cube file, unless you explicitly
specify otherwise, only every second value along each axis is printed out
(keyword STRIDE). You need to take this into account when you supply a file
for READ_FROM_CUBE, because as far as I understand no
interpolation/extrapolation from tighter/looser grids is possible.

An example output is given below. In this case, the grid contains 350^3
points at a planewave cutoff of 500 Ry. So to summarize, if your system
contains 54 data points along each direction (at STRIDE 1), then you need
to provide a cube with 54^3 grid points. You need a larger cube file with
(2*54)^3 grid points if you printed out the cube file with STRIDE 2.

 PW_GRID| Information for grid
number                                          1
 PW_GRID| Grid distributed over                                   192
processors
 PW_GRID| Real space group dimensions
192    1
 PW_GRID| the grid is
blocked:                                                NO
 PW_GRID| Cutoff [a.u.]
250.0
 PW_GRID| spherical
cutoff:                                                   NO
 PW_GRID|   Bounds   1           -175     174
Points:         350
 PW_GRID|   Bounds   2           -175     174
Points:         350
 PW_GRID|   Bounds   3           -175     174
Points:         350
 PW_GRID| Volume element (a.u.^3)  0.2459E-02     Volume (a.u.^3)
105442.7279
 PW_GRID| Grid span
FULLSPACE
 PW_GRID|   Distribution                         Average
Max         Min
 PW_GRID|   G-Vectors                           223307.3      223650
223300
 PW_GRID|   G-Rays                                 638.0
639         638
 PW_GRID|   Real Space Points                   223307.3      245000
122500

 RS_GRID| Information for grid
number                                          1
 RS_GRID|   Bounds   1           -175     174
Points:         350
 RS_GRID|   Bounds   2           -175     174
Points:         350
 RS_GRID|   Bounds   3           -175     174
Points:         350
 RS_GRID| Real space distribution over                                  4
groups
 RS_GRID| Real space distribution along
direction                              1
 RS_GRID| Border
size                                                         29
 RS_GRID| Real space distribution over                                  6
groups
 RS_GRID| Real space distribution along
direction                              2
 RS_GRID| Border
size                                                         29
 RS_GRID| Real space distribution over                                  8
groups
 RS_GRID| Real space distribution along
direction                              3
 RS_GRID| Border
size                                                         29
 RS_GRID|   Distribution                         Average
Max         Min
 RS_GRID|   Planes                                 145.5
146         145
 RS_GRID|   Distribution                         Average
Max         Min
 RS_GRID|   Planes                                 116.3
117         116
 RS_GRID|   Distribution                         Average
Max         Min
 RS_GRID|   Planes                                 101.8
102         101

BR,

Nico