cp2k.ssmp maximum number of threads?

Alfio Lazzaro alfio.... at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 10:01:46 UTC 2017

Dear Vedran,
as Juerg already said, we don't set any maximum on the number of threads
(anywhere) in CP2K. We use the OpenMP runtime mechanism to check the number
of threads. You can check the number of threads that CP2K is using in the
following line of the output (at the very beginning of the CP2K execution):

GLOBAL| Number of threads for this process
                                  18

If you observe any change when you compile on a machine and execute on
another, then it is not CP2K related (I can guess that it is due to OpenMP
runtime...).

I wonder how you are checking the number of threads that are used in CP2K
during the execution. Do you use htop (or something similar) or you look at
the performance scaling? I can tell you that OpenMP parallelization in CP2K
is not optimal for several reasons (memory access, limited algorithm
scaling...). In general, we see a limit around 4 threads (however, this is
really algorithm-dependent and I don't know what you are running!),
therefore we suggest using a combination of MPI and OpenMP (PSMP version).
There is an ongoing effort on improving the OpenMP performance, but it will
take some time... You are welcome to contribute :)

Alfio