CP2K energy very different from Gaussian03

Megha Anand meghaan... at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:03:07 UTC 2016

Dear All,

I am pretty new to CP2K and still learning the basics of the program. I
want to get the energy of the energy of the reaction: Fe(g) + S(g) ->
FeS(g). To begin with, I simply did single point calculation of iron atom
using Gaussian03 and CP2K. Browsing through the previous posts, I figured
out that the ECP basis sets used by most quantum chemists cannot be used in
CP2K. Even if I use different level of theory and basis sets across the two
programs, I would anticipate roughly similar energies if not exactly same.
I used basis set B3LYP/SDD in Gaussian03 and SZV-MOLOPT-SR-GTH in CP2K. The
energies I get from Gaussian is: -123.85372 while in CP2K:
-19.96605887771384. Even if the two programs results in two spin states I
would not expect such large different.

I do not know what I am doing wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I have included the input below. Apart from these, I have few more general
questions:

(a) Is there any recommended combination of pseudopotential and basis set
for complex compounds containing metal iron. There are also: carbon,
oxygen, sulfur, and nitrogen in the system.

(b) Should I use GPW or do all electron calculation using GAPW. I would
have used ECP basis set, if I had to use Gaussian03. But I am not sure what
is right way proceed with CP2K.

(c) Any suggestion for the functional available in CP2K for studying iron
complexes of high spin multiplicity.

(d) I saw ECP_POTENTIALS file on CP2K Github, is it possible to use ECPs
like SDD, LANL2DZ, etc. in CP2K.

Here is my CP2K input:

&GLOBAL

  PROJECT Fe

  RUN_TYPE ENERGY

  PRINT_LEVEL MEDIUM

  WALLTIME 86400

&END GLOBAL

&FORCE_EVAL

  METHOD Quickstep

  &DFT

    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME /share/apps/cp2k/cp2k/tests/QS/BASIS_MOLOPT

    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME /share/apps/cp2k/cp2k/tests/QS/GTH_POTENTIALS

    CHARGE 0

    MULTIPLICITY 5

    UKS T

    &MGRID