RKS calculation with Doublet Multiplicity, strange?

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 21:31:34 UTC 2016

Hi Natalie,

if your system is metallic, and you are using smearing, there is not
necessarily any spin polarization, even if there is an odd number of
electrons in the system. Imagine running a system with 27 Na atoms in your
supercell, for instance. Then RKS and UKS give the same results.

Do you expect any spin polarization in your case?

Matt