How to obtain accurate frequencies from CP2K? (inside the post the frequencies are compared between CP2K and Gaussian)

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 10:05:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

you are not consistently running a non-periodic system - you need a
nonperiodic poisson section too. And

1. You have

&VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS
    DX 1.0E-03
    NPROC_REP  24
    FULLY_PERIODIC TRUE

the fully periodic keyword means that CP2K won't remove rotations (because
they aren't there for a crystal with pbc) - so you get an extra 3 modes.

2. You are running a totally different 'model chemistry' in Gaussian
terminology. You can't compare M062X with PBE directly. PBE (GGAs)
typically underbind, bonds too long, frequencies too small. M06 maybe is
better on average.

3 So you are mixing two things - accurate, i.e. properly performed
calculation at a given level of theory - and agreement with experiment.
Changing the model will change the frequencies. Changing settings (CUTOFF
mainly, probably) will just ensure you get the correct numbers for the
model. You should run PBE in Gaussian to compare to, if this is what you
want.

Matt