metal ions in cp2k

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:16:31 UTC 2016

Hi Qiang,

I think that dissociation into partially charged ions is the 'correct'
incorrect behaviour using standard functionals - see

'@article{ruzsinszky2006spurious,
  title={Spurious fractional charge on dissociated atoms: Pervasive and
resilient self-interaction error of common density functionals},
  author={Ruzsinszky, Adrienn and Perdew, John P and Csonka, G{\'a}bor I
and Vydrov, Oleg A and Scuseria, Gustavo E},
  journal={The Journal of chemical physics},
  volume={125},
  number={19},
  pages={194112},
  year={2006},
  publisher={AIP Publishing}
}'

for instance.

Also, it is quite hard to converge wavefunctions for the stretched molecule
- I'm not sure your set up really converges. I suspect that Gaussian
converges to a different solution - though you don't say what setup you are
using there.

So, actually what you are trying to do is quite difficult, rather than an
easy task. A better approach is to model the NaCl molecule near equilibrium
then calculate the Na and Cl atoms separately for most thermodynamic
applications.

Matt