[CP2K:7621] How to choose the NGRIDS in &MGRID

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Tue Mar 29 08:33:59 UTC 2016

Hi

the three inputs "CUTOFF", "NGRIDS", and "REL_CUTOFF" are important
for accuracy and efficiency. The problem is that both, "accuracy and
efficiency" depend on the combination of chosen values.

In an optimal setting you can proceed the following way:

1) choose a high enough value for REL_CUTOFF
   this is system and basis set independent. It determines the
   minimal cutoff used to bring a Gaussian function on the real space grid.
   High values mean high accuracy, low values faster execution.

2) choose your cutoff and number of grids. This will determine the real space grids
   for your calulcation, e.g. cutoff=400 ngrids=4
   grid1 = 400, grid2 = 200, grid3 =100, grid4 = 50 (not actual numbers)
   The cutoff should be high enough to take on the Gaussian with the largest exponent,
   i.e. exponent*REL_CUTOFF <= cutoff (where exponent is for a product Gaussian)
   If you choose more grids the mapping (Gaussian->Grid) is better but you have more
   overhead from more grids (mostly FFTs).

regards

Juerg Hutter

Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland

-----cp... at googlegroups.com wrote: -----To: cp2k <cp... at googlegroups.com>