cp2k - ab initio simulations - reproduction of the denisty for condensed phases

Anna Wójcik wojcik... at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:09:32 UTC 2016

Hi :)
I'm a new user of cp2k program. Till now I was using only QM, QM/MM and
sometimes MD methods (MD only to model enzyme structure before QM or
QM/MM), but I need to use cp2k for requirement parametrization of some
molecules. I did some test modelling on condensed phase including 30
molecules of triacetin and also for 30 water molecules as a reference, but
so far I'm receiving overestimated density for triacetin and for water.
Ab-initio MD was lasting about 2 ps using NPT ensemble. The model was
equilibrated using classical MD in GROMACS in OPLS force field, afterwards
I chose two geometries which have density equal to experimental one and box
size I took exactly for these geometries from classical MD, than I did 3000
steps in NVT ensemble of ab initio MD using cp2k and because temperature
was OK, and all energies including ConsQty reached plateau I performed
ab-initio MD in NPT ensemble, but in all models I reached overestimated
density and the error equals about 0.1 g/cm3 in all models tested for
triacetin and for water. My question is: Do You have any suggestion what is
the reason?? Maybe the reason is an algorithm or maybe settings or maybe
simulations were to short or models two small?? Or maybe for calculations
in NPT ensemble I should took bigger box than in classical MD?
I would be very grateful for any suggestions