how to input k-point

Conrad cjohns... at qub.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 10:05:25 UTC 2016

Dear Rieska,

Instructions on how to compile CP2K are here:
https://www.cp2k.org/howto:compile
If you have a specific issue with compilation, search in the Google Group -
there's many threads about these sort of things.

Regarding the k-points, have a look at some of the big solid state texts
like "Introduction to Solid State Physics", by Kittel. The gamma point is
one specific "special" k-points. When your professor says you need k-points
to get an accurate band gap, he's getting at the fact that you need to
sample many k-points, not just the gamma point. When you see band structure
plots, these are plots of the energy levels over many k-points, tracing a
path through the Brillouin zone.

I'm not sure what stage the k-point development is at in CP2K. Hopefully
someone will jump in and help me here! I think in 3.0, you can generate a
grid of k-points, using Monkorst-Pack or a regular grid. but I'm not sure
if you can specify particular points, yet. The keyword is clearly there in
the manual but I've not used it or tested it.