How to set up OPBE in cp2k

jia... at vt.edu jia... at vt.edu
Tue Jul 26 00:50:35 UTC 2016

Dear Conrad,

I appreciate your quick reply. But I still have some uncertainty.

The paper [1] introduced the GGA_XC_OPBE_D, refitting procedure applied to
PBE to optimize the (meta-)GGA functional. The prefix ‘o’ stands for
optimized.
While the OPBE functional is Handy-Cohen’s 2001 OPTX correction for
exchange plus Perdew-Burke-Ernzerhof’s 1996 correction for correlation. [2]
OPBE is already built into the Gaussian[3] and ADF[4], which shows some
accuracy in capturing the features of metal complex. One paper [5] reports
that employing OPBE calculate the Ru complex in CP2K, whereas the OPBE
haven’t built in CP2K, I am really want to know the setting about OPBE is
right or not.

[1] Goerigk, Lars, and Stefan Grimme. “A General Database for Main Group
Thermochemistry, Kinetics, and Noncovalent Interactions − Assessment of
Common and Reparameterized (meta-)GGA Density Functionals.” Journal of
Chemical Theory and Computation 6, no. 1 (January 12, 2010): 107–26.
doi:10.1021/ct900489g.
[2] Liao, Meng-Sheng, John D. Watts, and Ming-Ju Huang. “Electronic
Structure of Some Substituted Iron(II) Porphyrins. Are They Intermediate or
High Spin?” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 111, no. 26 (July 1, 2007):
5927–35. doi:10.1021/jp070734z.
[3] Andrikopoulos, Prokopis C., Carine Michel, Sandra Chouzier, and
Philippe Sautet. “In Silico Screening of Iron-Oxo Catalysts for CH Bond
Cleavage.” ACS Catalysis 5, no. 4 (April 3, 2015): 2490–99.
doi:10.1021/cs500996k.
[4] Swart, Marcel, Andreas W. Ehlers, and * Koop Lammertsma. “Performance
of the OPBE Exchange-Correlation Functional.” Molecular Physics 102, no.
23–24 (December 10, 2004): 2467–74. doi:10.1080/0026897042000275017.
[5] Vallés-Pardo, José Luis, Marieke C. Guijt, Marcella Iannuzzi, Khurram
S. Joya, Huub J. M. de Groot, and Francesco Buda. “Ab Initio Molecular
Dynamics Study of Water Oxidation Reaction Pathways in Mono-Ru Catalysts.”
ChemPhysChem 13, no. 1 (January 16, 2012): 140–46.
doi:10.1002/cphc.201100546.