Energy of atomic oxgyen and smearing

Natalie Austin natalie... at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:29:41 UTC 2016

Hello,

I wanted to calculate the atomic energy of oxygen. I used the CP2K tutorial
for GEO_OPT of H2O as an example to generate the input file.  What I
noticed is that the energy calculation for atomic did not converge after
500 SCF steps if I did not use smearing. Would anyone be able to explain
why this is? Because I thought for such a small atom smearing would not be
necessary. The energy for atomic oxygen also converged when I used the OT
method but I thought it best to use diagonalization to keep consistent with
the input I use for calculations on my metal systems.

This is what I believe is the relevant part of the input form the
calculation that converged. I indicated which lines were omitted from the
calculation that did not coverge:
&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD QS
  &DFT
    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME BASIS_MOLOPT
    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME GTH_POTENTIALS
    &MGRID
      CUTOFF 400
      REL_CUTOFF 60
      NGRIDS 4
    &END MGRID
    &QS
       EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-14
       MAP_CONSISTENT
    &END QS
  &SCF
     SCF_GUESS  ATOMIC
     EPS_SCF 1.0E-7
     MAX_SCF 500
     ADDED_MOS  200                                       *Added MOS was
omitted in the calculation that did not converge.*
     CHOLESKY INVERSE
     &SMEAR  ON
         METHOD FERMI_DIRAC
         ELECTRONIC_TEMPERATURE [K] 700     * This smear section was
omitted in the calculation that did not converge. *
     &END SMEAR
     &DIAGONALIZATION
          ALGORITHM STANDARD
     &END DIAGONALIZATION