Questions about a system of molecules

Gary gary... at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 11 18:58:08 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the electric field above a system of molecules.
The molecules are arranged on the xy plane. I have done the same for single
molecule case, and that is working fine.

My question is, how should I optimise the geometry? If it's a system of
molecules, I want to retain the configuration, but relax the system? There
are 4 molecules, and each molecule has 50 atoms, so there are a total of
200 atoms. Is this too many for geometry optimisation?

I did a calculation of the EFIELD_CUBE without optimisation, and the
results are a little strange. The field is asymmetrical and seems to
completely concentrate around one of the 4 molecules. The magnitude of the
field is also very high. I have attached the input and output files. There
is a total charge of -1. I also want to point out that the SCF run does not
converge in the inner loop (MAX_SCF 800); I am not sure if this is causing
non-sensical data.

Thanks,

Gary