[CP2K:7670] Example for dynamic load imbalances

Iain Bethune ibet... at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 14 14:38:12 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

In CP2K, load imbalance typically occurs because of some spatial properties in the system being modelled.  For example, systems with an interface between two materials, or a surface or cluster in vacuum.  I attach an input for a cluster of water molecules which was used in this paper: https://cug.org/5-publications/proceedings_attendee_lists/CUG10CD/pages/1-program/final_program/CUG10_Proceedings/pages/authors/16-18Thursday/17B-bethune.pdf  However, if run on a large number of MPI processes, even the standard water box benchmarks (in cp2k/tests/QS/benchmark) will show some imbalance.

The load balancing algorithm is run whenever the geometry changes, so it will adjust the task decomposition (which processes handle which gaussian products), and the reordering of the realspace grids as the calculation goes on, for example during MD.  Since a few months ago, the algorithm is quite memory efficient, so there is no need to turn it off (although the FORCE_EVAL / DFT / MGRID / SKIP_LOAD_BALANCE_DISTRIBUTED flag may still be used).

- Iain

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Name: W216.inp
Type: application/octet-stream

Iain Bethune
Project Manager, EPCC

Email: ibet... at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Twitter: @IainBethune @PrimeGrid @CP2Kproject
Web: http://www2.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~ibethune
Tel/Fax: +44 (0)131 650 5201/6555
Mob: +44 (0)7598317015
Addr: 2404 JCMB, The King's Buildings, Peter Guthrie Tait Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3FD