Why is Diagonalization so much slower than OT?

Christopher O'Brien cjobr... at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 22:52:04 UTC 2015

To all,
Am am attempting to perform MD on a system with ~900 atoms. Using OT, I can
run hundreds of time steps in a day. Using Diagonalization, I can only run
4. I have appended my diagonalization section below. Are there any
recommended settings for the Mixing parameters? Are there any
recommendations for getting an initially converged WFN before starting MD?

The reason I don't want to use OT is that it prevents orbital occupation
from changing. I am trying to use METADYNAMICS to study a reaction, so I
don't want to constrain multiplicity.

    &SCF

      EPS_SCF 1.0E-6

      SCF_GUESS atomic