[CP2K:6967] Re: Re-optimising transition state using dimer method

luca lcb... at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:27:28 UTC 2015

Dear Tobias,
you are refining a TS state obtained from NEB,  thus, you have a "good"
starting point.
Nevertheless, the dimer-algorithm assigns the directions of the dimer in
random way, thus, in this case,  the random assignement affects
negatively the convergence of the refininement, preventing the
convergence.

Provide the right dimer-directions in agreement with the imaginary mode
is the right choice, however, I would suggest to use a proper set-up of
the input parameters to avoid extra work.

-1- See J. Org. Chem., 2013, 78 (5), pp 2118–2127
DOI: 10.1021/jo3023439
I this work I used this set-up:

    &TRANSITION_STATE
      METHOD DIMER
      &DIMER
        DR [angstrom] 0.01
        ANGLE_TOLERANCE 1.5
        INTERPOLATE_GRADIENT  T
        &ROT_OPT
          OPTIMIZER CG
          MAX_ITER  12           #INCREASE!
          &CG
            MAX_STEEP_STEPS 0
            &LINE_SEARCH
              TYPE 2PNT
            &END
          &END
        &END
      &END
    &END

Anyway, the parameters are system dependent, so you have to try
different set-up.

-2- In your case, to obtain the right directions of the dimers, you can
increase the MAX_ITER keyword, at least for the first few search steps.
Because you are near the TS, increasing the MAX_ITER, the algorithm
should find the dimer directions for the local imaginary mode, which
should be the imaginary mode obtained by the vibrational analysis.

Luca