spline problem with GENPOT

daniel.... at gmail.com daniel.... at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:18:48 UTC 2015

I am doing alchemical transformations in FIST using GENPOT, and run into an
error when the potential that I specify in GENPOT becomes too “exotic”:

*** ERROR in build_neighbor_lists (MODULE fist_neighbor_lists) ***

*** GEOMETRY wrong or EMAX_SPLINE too small! ***

Typically, this is because atoms are “too close” together, but given the
potential that I specified (which contains partially annihilated
particles), there *should* occasionally be atoms very close together. The
only solution that I have found is to add the following to the input
section:

&SPLINE
R0_NB 0.00001
NPOINTS 500000
&END SPLINE

The problem is that, even at very high values of "NPOINTS", there are still
convergence problems. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Daniel Sadowsky
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
Environmental Chemistry Modeling Laboratory

EPFL ENAC IIE LMCO
GR C2 555 (Bâtiment GR)
Station 2
CH- 1015 Lausanne