Molecular crystal in a triclinic cell

Alex nedo... at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:35:18 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We're trying to simulate an n-octane crystal (triclinic, coordinates and
cell vectors from literature) -- just a static cell + geometry
optimization. Here's the issue: when simulating a single cell (1 1 1), the
crystal cohesive energy is far above the experiment -- an order of
magnitude larger in absolute value. As a vacuum ref we're simulating an
isolated octane molecule. In all cases, a NON_LOCAL vdw energy correction
is used.

When simulating a total of eight cells (2 2 2), and the simulation is still
running, so the results are preliminary, things appear to be much more
reasonable. The input file is below (I can provide the coordinates as well,
if needed). Can you just by simple inspection tell me if anything is
obviously wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Alex

**********************************