Specify separate hill heights (WW) for COLVARS using Metadynamics

Marcella Iannuzzi marci... at gmail.com
Thu May 21 05:40:32 UTC 2015

Hi,

maybe you should understand better what metadynamics does.
The metadynamic variables define a reduced phase space, dimension Ncv,
where the metadynamic potential is constructed as a sum of Ncv-dimensional
hills, from which the free energy surface can be approximated.
In terms of metadynamics, it makes no sense what you are asking.
Collective variables can be monitored without being metadynamic variables.
In order not to bias directly one variable with the MTD potential don't use
it as a metadynamic variable.

If you have fast changes in a variable, probably this one does not need to
be used as metadynamic variable.
Using redundant variables in metadynamics is also not a good choice.
If the size of MTD hills is too large, processes might occur too fast, and
the phase space is not properly sampled.

regards
marcella