DENSITY_PROPAGATION with the AUXILIARY_DENSITY_MATRIX_METHOD

Luca luca.d... at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:21:58 UTC 2015

Dear Florian and dear Samuel

first of all thank you for your answer. The system on which I am focused is
a coated metallic cluster of about one hundred atoms (600 electrons in
total). I would like to obtain the electronic spectrum of such a system at
b3lyp level and it is good to know that for such type of system the
standard algorithm is faster than the linear scaling one.

About my computational resources, at the moment, I have access to Dual
Intel Haswell E5-2670 CPUs (2.3 Ghz) giving 24 cores per node with 56Gb/s
FDR Infiniband interconnect.

When running on 192 cores CP2K needs 560 sec for each real-time-propagation
step (rtps), that is too high to obtain a spectrum in a reasonable time
(for me reasonable would be 24-48 hours for each polarization direction of
light). In this case I used the PADE approximant for the exponential but
considering your answer I have planned new tests with the ARNOLDI
algorithm. About the ADMM basis set I tested FIT11 for the metal and cpFIT3
for the other species. Reducing the basis sets to FIT3 leads to a reduction
of the time for rtps to 460 sec, that is still too high and probably will
give a spectrum that would not be accurate. Is there the possibility to
reduce that time without increasing the number of cores? Which are the
keyword with which I can 'play' to reduce the time for rtps?

Finally my latest question concerns the segmentation fault that I obtain
when I use the  AUXILIARY_DENSITY_MATRIX_METHOD with the cam-b3lyp
functional. In this case the problem comes out at the beginning of the scf
procedure. Did you ever try that combination ?  Did you ever run up against
a similar issue?

For Samuel: the INPUT that gave me the segmentation fault is :

&FORCE_EVAL

  METHOD QUICKSTEP

  &DFT

    &AUXILIARY_DENSITY_MATRIX_METHOD

      METHOD BASIS_PROJECTION

      ADMM_PURIFICATION_METHOD NONE

    &END

    &REAL_TIME_PROPAGATION

       MAX_ITER 7

       MAT_EXP BCH

       PROPAGATOR ETRS

       EXP_ACCURACY 1.0E-11

       EPS_ITER 1.0E-2

       INITIAL_WFN SCF_WFN

       DENSITY_PROPAGATION .TRUE.

    &END

    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME ../../../data/BASIS_MOLOPT

    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME ../../../data/BASIS_ADMM

    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME ../../../data/POTENTIAL

    &MGRID

      CUTOFF 100

    &END MGRID

    &QS