Const Qty & EXT_RESTART

Rolf David rolf.d... at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:02:05 UTC 2015

Hi again,

Problem solved. At least found.

I was not in the MD restart but in the wavefunction restart.

There is a difference between a wavefunction.restart created by a square
number of MPI processes and created by other number.

One created by a normal amount of MPI processes can be "correctly" read by
a square number of MPI processes (let say 128 to 144)
One created by a square amount of MPI processes can be "correcly" read by
a  square number of MPI processes (let say 144 to 36)
One created by a square amount of MPI processes cannot be  "correctly" read
by a square number of MPI processes  (wfn converged to a different one,
hence a drift) (let say 64 to 128)

On our HPC, a non-square MPI processes don't lead to poor performance
(scaling 128 to 144 is *as expected)* but lead to an incompatibility
between restart.wfn (and also accuracy I guess)

Maybe it's how the decomposition of matrices is done. Or integrals.

Anyway, if i'll stick to a square number of MPI as "specified in the
output" even if in term of pure performance it's the same compared to
non-square (quid of accuracy?) ,  it is good.