[CP2K:6299] MM-Radii for QMMM

Joshua Carr jkenne... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:21:21 UTC 2015

Hello,

Does that mean the MM radii are the same for all MM_KIND's for the same
element? I'm concerned because based on JCTC 1, 1176 (2005), it seems that
the appropriate radius can vary somewhat substantially for the same element
in different bonding environments. That paper lists 1.2 A (for O) and 0.44
A (for H) as the appropriate radii for water (which add up to substantially
more than the OH bond length). Meanwhile, a table of covalent radii (e.g.
from the Cambridge Structural
Database, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_radius) lists 0.66 A for O
and 0.31 A for H, almost a factor of 2 different for O. Moreover, the radii
ought to vary for different bonding environments. Although JCP 116, 6941
(2002) indicates that there is some tolerance for a range of values, it is
certainly possible to mess up the calculation by using bad values.

The best I can think to do now is use 1.2 A and 0.44 A for water, and use
values from the Cambridge Structural Database for all the protein atoms. Is
that reasonable? I feel this is probably not that big a deal, but I'm new
to QM/MM and am trying to ensure I don't make an error that will be
difficult to control for.

Thanks,

Josh