CP2K Problems with Restarting the Localization of Wannier-Centers

tobias.l... at gmail.com tobias.l... at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 10:53:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

thank you for your quick answers.
yes the coordinates of the centers are really differing!
My proceeding was to stop the CP2K-run in a controlled manner. This works
with the directives WALLTIME or LAST_SNAPSHOT. Then I restarted the
calculation with the options

&EXT_RESTART
RESTART_FILE_NAME polarizability-1.restart

&DFT
WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME

&SCF
SCF_GUESS RESTART

&REFTRAJ
FIRST_SNAPSHOT

With the next following timestep in the FIRST_SNAPSHOT option.
1.Run: 1-5
2.Run: FIRST_SNAPSHOT 6

Doing so the resulting Raman-Spectrum looks like a semi-circle looking like
any systematic fault. Then I compared the coordinates and they were
differing with a trajectory sequence from 1-5 and 7-10 for example.

The next try i did was to restart the counters in the &EXT_RESTART section.
Then the sequence was correct from 1-10 but there were some jumping atoms
(the trajectory was ruptured) and the coordinates of the centers after the
restart were still differing and the Raman-Spectrum looks like a hyperbola
with an underlying sinus oscillation.

And finally in my last try i discovered that CP2K takes everytime when
called the first timestep to prove if the calculation converges. I changed
the value of FIRST_SNAPSHOT to
1.Run: 1-5
2.Run: FIRST_SNAPSHOT 5

resulting in a sequence which was still correct (1-10) but without any
jumping atoms and still differing coordinates of the wannier centers. But
now the Raman-Spektrum calculated with TRAVIS was finally the same like in
a single CP2K-Run.

The point of interest now is if my tries lead to any kind of systematic
fault in TRAVIS because of the Raman-spectrums were quite regularly?

In the end I am glad to be able to do my calculations now. I did the
imaginable simplest fault and hope to safe other people from doing the same!

Regards,
Tobias