[CP2K:6669] using PLUMED virtual atoms with MPI [PLUMED-2.1.2 + CP2K]

Iain Bethune ibet... at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 25 11:17:21 UTC 2015

Hi Jaap,

Thanks for the report!  I have been able to recreate the problem (at least for me it doesn’t crash but the energy goes NaN by the start of the 3rd MD step…

I will try to figure out what is going wrong and let you know when/if I can fix it!

- Iain

--

Iain Bethune
Project Manager, EPCC

Email: ibet... at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Twitter: @IainBethune
Web: http://www2.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~ibethune
Tel/Fax: +44 (0)131 650 5201/6555
Mob: +44 (0)7598317015
Addr: 2404 JCMB, The King's Buildings, Peter Guthrie Tait Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3FD

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 13:42, Jaap Kroes <jaap... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear CP2K developers,
>

> This is crossposted from the PLUMED mailing list since they think the issue may be in the interface rather than PLUMED itself.
> I'm trying to do a steered MD simulation with PLUMED(2.1.2) + CP2K (latest version, attached are some minimal inputs).
>
> However the simulation crashes for virtual atoms (COM) constructed from a group of atoms of a certain size.
> The number of atoms should not have any significant effect on the resulting CV (at least not initially).
> It is difficult to identify which combations work and which don't.
>
> (in a system of 63 atoms in total..)
>
> surface: COM ATOMS=1                                         [works]
> surface: COM ATOMS=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14          [crashes]
> surface: COM ATOMS=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15       [works]
> surface: COM ATOMS=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16    [crashes]
> surface: COM ATOMS=1-60                                      [crashes]
>
> d_gr-pr: DISTANCE ATOMS=surface,61 COMPONENTS
> restraint: ...
>   MOVINGRESTRAINT
>    ARG=d_gr-pr.z KAPPA0=0.1
>     AT0=+3  STEP0=0000
>     AT1=-3  STEP1=2000
>

> This only happens for parallel runs (pure MPI, pure openmp, or a mix of the two).
> So I guess it is related to some MPI communication problem.
>
> Did you ever see something similar or have any idea what could go wrong?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>

> Best,
> Jaap

> <md.inp><plumed.dat>

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.