Geometry Optimisation of Large Charged Systems

Olivia Lynes livl... at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 10:41:44 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a few of my geometry optimisations not converging
after several thousand steps and having looked at the energy changes
through the main output file it's not decreasing but is fluctuating a lot
in a certain range. I'm at a loss to why as I've got similar calculations
completed with similar input and just a different box size and they have
converged without this fluctuation in a few hundred steps.

I've attached the input, coordination files and the first hundred or so
steps of the output file.

These are geometry optimisations of an Mg 2+ ion in a box of 64 waters,
with a cell size of 13.41 angstroms, so the overall system is charged 2.
I've used the GTH DZVP basis sets and potentials.

Having done a cell optimisation on just the 64 waters, we introduced the Mg
ion and charged the system. In lieu of being able to do cell optimisations
on a charged system, then geometry optimisations are being done at varying
box sizes by 10ths of an angstrom as a sort of manual cell optimisation to
try to find both a minimum energy structure and a minimum energy box size.

I've done similar calculations using Ca and Sr and haven't had this issue
with any of my jobs, they all converge in a few hundred steps.

Is this potentially a problem using charged systems? Is it necessary for me
to put a counter ion in which would let me do a standard cell optimisation?

Or is this approach completely wrong and we would be better off doing MD?

The aim is to do ab initio MD on these systems to look at the coordination
of the ion in a bulk of water, so reaching a minimum energy structure and
box size isn't essential but it would be nice to have the regular DFT data
to back it up.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Olivia