[CP2K:6748] BROKEN SYMMETRY

S Ling lingsa... at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 23:24:57 UTC 2015

Hi

For V(II), you can try the same values which I gave you. If it doesn't
work, then please try to reduce +7/-7 to something like +5/-5. The general
idea is to the break the symmetry by adding or substracting electrons from
the ALPHA and BETA spin channels, and by adding/substracting differnet
number of electrons from different atoms, hopefully you can get different
oxidation states on different atoms after the SCF calculation. The total
number of electrons should be corrected after the rescaling, but in certain
cases, you might end up with more than 5 d electrons in the ALPHA or BETA
spin channel even after the scaling, and therefore you see the problems you
mentioned earlier. I am not very clear about how the rescaling was done.
Maybe some other people on this mailing list can give you more
information. I would suggest you to play with some small systems to get
more feeling about it. Keep in mind that the &BS subsection just break the
symmetry of your initial guess. You may or may not get the exact magnetic
ordering or oxidation states which you expect after the SCF calculation,
and therefore, you should always check the spin moments on different atoms
after the SCF calculation.

SL