The parameters of SCREENING

huan... at mail.huji.ac.il huan... at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Jan 27 13:04:03 UTC 2015

Dear CP2K developers and users,

I have a question on the parameters of SCREENING keyword.

Recently, I read the reference "*Ab initio molecular dynamics using hybrid
density functionals.  J. Chem. Phys., 128 (21), 214104 (2008)*". The
authors tested three parameters when performing the SCREENING, e.g.
epsilon_Schwarz, epsilon_Box and epsilon_Storage, and showed in the Table
III that by using the epsilong_Storage = 1/10*epsilon_Schwarz, both CPU
time and the RAM consumption reduced about 2-times, while retained the
similar accuracy. The epsilon_Box parameter seems do not significantly
improve the performances.

However, in CP2K manual, the SCREENING section lists following 5 keywords.

   1. EPS_SCHWARZ
   2. EPS_SCHWARZ_FORCES
   3. P_SCREEN_CORRECTION_FACTOR
   4. SCREEN_ON_INITIAL_P
   5. SCREEN_P_FORCES

Only the first one, EPS_SCHWARZ, seems related to the epsilon_Schwarz in
the reference. *What the relationship between the EPS_SCHWARZ and EPS_SCF?
Shall I set the same value for them?*

I am also not very clear about the rest keywords. Does the
SCREEN_ON_INITIAL_P and SCREEN_P_FORCES corresponding to the post-GGA
screening in the reference? *Shall I set them as TRUE*, if I read the
wavefunction_restart files?

If the SCREEN_P_FORCES is set to TRUE, the EPS_SCHWARZ_FORCES should be
specified, as the CP2K manual instructed. Then *shall I set the value
of EPS_SCHWARZ_FORCES equals to the value of EPS_SCF*?

The most important parameter, I think, is the epsilon_Storage, which does
not shown in the SCREENING section. Is it the keyword of
EPS_STORAGE_SCALING in MEMORY section? The explanation for this key word is
"*Scaling factor to scale eps_schwarz. Storage threshold for compression
will be EPS_SCHWARZ * EPS_STORAGE_SCALING*". I am not sure about the
relationship between this expression and the memory usage. *How to set the
appropriate value of memory*?

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you kindly give me some suggestion.

Regards,
Huan