Nickel cell optimization

Alex nedo... at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 22:13:42 UTC 2014

Hey Matt,

Thanks, I will try your version. My only problem at this point is that SCF
does not converge.
Now, I thought that UKS (along with MULTIPLICITY) was there to include spin
polarization, which should be very important for something like nickel.
Also, why is it not needed if Fermi-Dirac smearing of the wavefunction is
enabled? I kinda fail to see how one excludes the other qualitatively. In
other words, by omitting the magnetic part, am I really simulating nickel?

Just to add to the info, the 6x6x6 simulation converged during energy
minimization (constant cell size) and in fact yielded reasonable cohesive
energy (the input included smearing and UKS). The convergence issues
started during cell optimization.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex