how to improve CP2K scaling for small systems

labicia lab... at yahoo.it
Mon Mar 24 10:53:33 UTC 2014

Hi!

We have tried both threaded and non-threaded libraries. There is no
difference.

We have new evidences that the problem responsible for the "bad" incore
scaling behavior is the limited RAM-cache-processor communication:
using a single-channel RAM configuration to run the ZIF8 system we get a
slow down of 30% with respect to a dual-channel set up (for the same
system).
For this reason, in our future purchases we will move to quad-channel RAM
configurations.

If someone has already a quad-channel system, he can try to study the CP2K
scaling against number of RAM channels.

Best regards,
Marco and Andrea