how to improve CP2K scaling for small systems

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:28:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

unfortunately I can't see anything obvious - it just seems that the box
gets overloaded and things slow down...you can see that the FFTs aren't
scaling at all for instance, but it seems to be hitting everything fairly
equally, presumably the bottle neck is between the processors on the board.

Pragmatically, a couple of minor suggestions
- as Flo said, your cutoff is pretty high, which is making the FFTs etc
very costly. Whilst this may well be needed for geometry optimization, a
lower cutoff ~400 Ry or should be fine for molecular dynamics
- if you run with more nodes, the amount of data per node should drop
significantly and the scaling should improve significantly. I'd guess you'd
see much better scaling if you ran on 64-256 cores (which doesn't help if
your infiniband is down, but in the longer term...).
- depending on what you are planning to do you could experiment with the
GAPW method. It should require a much smaller cutoff.

Sorry for nothing more constructive, maybe someone else will have some
bright ideas,

Matt