[CP2K:5053] Re: restarting from an already optimized structure

Florian Schiffmann flosch... at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 09:01:41 UTC 2014

With slab boundarie conditions I meant to use periodic XY in the poisson
solver and use enough vacuum to avoid any strong interactions in the
periodic dimensions.
OK, I see how the system will become very big in terms of unit cell.With
the appropriate hardware there shouldn't be a problem. With limited
resources you will have to accept that the setting won't be perfect
(nonperiodic, functional of choice,...). The MT solver requires about 2x
your system size for the cell dimension. This will be difficult. The
wavelet solver as it is currently in CP2K requires a cubic cell (more
precisely a uniform grid spacing in all directions) but only about 3A of
vacuum at the boundaries. Both will lead to very big grids. For the wavelet
solver an temporary grid is allocated to match the distribution as required
by external solver used (adopted from big DFT). This means if it is a
memory issue that can cause a problem as the temporary memory requirement
doubles in this steps. For MT I am not quite sure I am afraid but it might
get away without the memory overhead. Therefore MT might be the better
option.
In case this doesn't work, you might have to go fully periodic and try to
adjust the cell that you have minimal interactions with the periodic
images. In some cases this allows to employ smaller cells than doing the
calculations in the correct boundaries.

To get away with a lower cutoff there is another option which I haven't
mentioned yet. As I said BLYP PP's are very sensitive to the cutoff
(causing problems in the FFT). If you are willing to switch functional to
PBE there is another option. For PBE we have NLCC-pseudopotentials for the
first two rows. As they lead to a finite density at the cores the FFT's
xc-potential is better behaved and a cutoff of 300 should be OK. For Au you
can simply use a normal PP.

Flo