cp2k and libxc

Mathias Schumacher mathe... at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 08:34:34 UTC 2014

Dear cp2k developers,

I want to use the libxc supporting version 2.4 of your software to do some
calculations.
As far as I know only version 2.0.1 of the libxc library is suitable for
usage with cp2k up from version 2.4.

My problem now is that, when I compiled (Intel compiler sets 12.1, 13.1 and
14.0) libxc 2.0.1 before proceeding with the compilation of the cp2k code,
quite many of the test cases for the XC-functionals from this library
failed, in particular the one for the gga_x_rpw86 functional I need. Since
the compilation procedure for libxc is simple, I cannot imagine what could
have went wrong. Strangely, the compilation of libxc 2.2.0, which I cannot
use in cp2k, works absolutely fine and none of the test cases reports any
error.

My questions are: Did you check results of these test cases when you added
libxc 2.0.1 to the list of libraries supported in cp2k 2.4 and did you
observe similiar problem? Might there be just something wrong with the test
cases themselves? Can one therefore ignore these failures?

I asked this question to the libxc developers group, they did not reply
yet, but I think this is an interesting issue for the users of cp2k in
combination with libxc, especially because the 2.0.1 version is the only
one we can use with cp2k.

Thanks in advance,
Mathias